June 24, 2013

It was the equipment all along.

The grain mill was not to blame for efficiency problems.  The grist was fine, dusty, and pretty well the grains were cracked open.  This pretty much was a hollow victory since I was still wondering what was going on but at least I know it is not the grain mill.  When I brewed my honey nut brown ale I squeezed the brew bag like the dickens after I sparged and I got 60-some percent so I now figure it is my equipment and is it is not efficiency friendly.  60% and above is not bad, since I don't have the proper equipment, so I am not going to complain.
Just bottled my orange wheat and I am loving it so far.  Not only am I getting started on developing a great summer beer, that may even be competition worthy, but it gives me a good base on a cascade IPA that I would like to make.  Slowly but surely I am turning into a brewer and the more I open myself up to learning recipes and just brewing the more become competent.  Hopefully the more secure I feel in my adventures the more likely it will lead to some professional brewing later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment