May 31, 2013

Happy accidents

Too bad not all accidents are happy ones but at least I can say mine was a happy one.  I made my orange wheat beer yesterday and had to adjust the grain bill.  Most wheat beer recipes call for 50% wheat malt at the most and I had 60%.  I added more 2-row, honey malt, and carapils and brought the wheat malt to 51%.  By increasing the other grains I bumped up my estimated ABV to 5% and I wanted to keep it just above 4% since I wanted a good summer drinking beer that was not strong.  Well, somewhere in my sparging I did not get the efficiency number and this will lower the alcohol level to probably just under 4%.
This accident is giving me the end result but at a cost.  I just hope that my next batch (vanilla bean stout) will hit the efficiency number and I am not doing something horribly wrong.

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment